Purifying DNA from gel slices

David Bird birdd at cadvision.com
Fri Nov 8 10:46:01 EST 1996

Alison Reavley wrote:

> Hi, I'm looking for a method of purifying plasmid DNA from gel slices
> which does not involve phenol or any increase in temperature.  At the
> moment I am trying electroelution but find that I am precipitating agarose
> as well as DNA after the elution.  I need to get rid of this agarose again
> without phenol or heating. I have also tried using Quiagen Qiaquick Gel
> Extraction columns but have been frustrated by the small yield and I am
> now using concentrations of DNA above those recommended in the protocol.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Alison Reavley
> MRC Radiation and Genome Stability Unit,
> Harwell,
> Didcot UK.
Many people in my department have used Glassmilk (pulverized glass
beads) with success.  This preferentially binds DNA to glass beads, and
the DNA is later eluted with a salt buffer, after washing with EtOH.  It
is supposed to give 80% recovery; I have never been so successful, but
many prefer this method.