Isolating RNA without using DNase??

Mon Nov 11 12:38:54 EST 1996

At 02:16 PM 11/8/96 GMT, Edouard Lauzier wrote:
>In article (Dans l'article) <55u4sh$d4h at>,
>qfdong at (Qunfeng Dong) wrote (=E9crivait)=A0:
>> Hi, there:
>>   When I read the "current protocols in molecular biology", I am curious=
>> those RNA isolation procedures don't need to use DNase in any step, how=
>> DNA removed during the isolation??
>> Qunfeng
>> --=20
>> Qunfeng Dong
>> qfdong at
>The phenolic phase of your mixture is bring to acidic pH ( <8.0 ) wich
>cause DNA and not RNA to partitioned in the organic phase wich you do not
>take of course...
>Hope it helps ( and correct me if I'm wrong people !)
>Edouard Lauzier, B.Sc.                           elauzier at
>Physical Activity Science Laboratory       (418) 656-2131 #2929
>(Laval University)  G1K 7P4

The phenol used in routine RNA extraction is buffered >pH7.5. At this pH,
neither DNA nor RNA will be partitioned with the organic phase. The DNA in
such preps is removed by differential pptn. of RNA in 2M LiCl.

Dr. Hiranya Sankar Roychowdhury
Plant Genetic Engineering Lab.
New Mexico State University
Las Cruces, NM 88003