How to purify DNA from PAGE?

John Watson watson_j at
Tue Nov 12 14:54:53 EST 1996

Guido Hooiveld wrote:
> Hi,
> Does anybody know some literature references or protocols concerning the
> purification of DNA from acrylamide gels? Is for instance a method like
> freeze-sqeeze for agarose gels also usable for PAGE?

You can do variations on the crush-and soak theme.  Gel fragments are removed by CF thru
silanized glass wool, filtration through S&S Elu-tip prefilters, etc. Alternatively, you
can electroelute. At least this is what I used to do years ago.  Now I mostly use NuSeive
agarose for small fragments.

John Watson
Bristol-Myers Squibb Co.
watson_j at