Re-using electroporation cuvettes

John Watson watson_j at bms.com
Tue Nov 12 14:46:13 EST 1996

Kevin Mulcahy wrote:

> I would like to carry out a number of mammalian cell transfections using
> electroporation. However, since the cuvettes are quite expensive, is it
> possible to re-use them? If so, could you please let me know what is the
> best way to clean and sterilise them (I use Flowgen's cuvettes).

In my old lab we would always reuse electroporation cuvettes.  Washing was done in
water, distilled water, and finally 70% ethanol.  I would sterilize prior to re-use
by UV irradiation.  Note that cuvettes cannot be reused indefinitely -- eventually
they will arc and that will be the end of that.

AJW
John Watson
Bristol-Myers Squibb Co.
watson_j at bms.com