TUNEL labeling of fixed tissue: Carnoy's vs paraformaldehyde

Richard Lightfoot rlightfoot at cell-science.org
Tue Nov 12 15:03:11 EST 1996

I've been messing about with the BoehringerMannheim TUNEL kit and am
experiencing some difficulty with hellacious background staining in
Carnoy's fixative treated tissues, which I suspect may be due to acid
hydrolysis of the DNA.  the paraformaldehyde sections from the same
organs look fine, but we want to be able to use Carnoy's for everything,
since it preserves morphology and antigens better in most cases.  Anyone
out there with experience/suggestions? thanks
                                      dick lightfoot