Electroporaton cuvettes - can you recycle them?

eric anderson e-anderson at ski.mskcc.org
Tue Nov 12 13:37:03 EST 1996

In article <569c5c$g02 at bignews.shef.ac.uk>, Kevin Mulcahy
<K.Mulcahy at sheffield.ac.uk> wrote:

> I would like to carry out a number of mammalian cell transfections using
> electroporation. However, since the cuvettes are quite expensive, is it
> possible to re-use them? If so, could you please let me know what is (1)
> the best way to clean them to remove all traces of DNA and (2) the best
> way to sterilise them (I use Flowgen's cuvettes).

kevin,

this is another one of those "search the archives" type questions.  there
are a bunch of different ways to clena electroporation cuvettes (probably
almost as many cleaning methods as there are investigators who can't
afford to just throw them out).  even within our lab of 10 people there
are ~ 4 different methods.  here are some basic do's and don'ts.

- get them in mQH2O asap after you finish using them.
- rinse them 4-20 times (different strokes for different levels of
paranoia) with mQH2O.
- rinse with either 70% or 95% EtOH (we usually use 70% then a couple more
water washes then another 70% followed by a 95% to dry them)

Do Not:

- use bleach.
- autoclave.
- wait more than overnight to clean them completely after your
experiment.  i prefer that they get cleaned immediately after the
experiment but a couple of lazy students in this lab seem to get away with
letting them go overnight in 70% EtOH.

as for sterilizing, we just stick them in a Stratalinker standing up and
set the power to 5000.  in my old lab we used to put them on the UV
lightbox for 15 minutes.

good luck and if you have any questions i'll try to answer them.

eric

--
Eric C. Anderson
Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center