protein fractionation ?

Dr E. Buxbaum EB15 at le.ac.uk
Tue Nov 12 12:41:12 EST 1996

kjaer at biobase.dk (Svend Kjaer) wrote:
>Hi all !
>I need to fractionate cytosolic proteins in a manner that will
>lower the complexity of a cytosolic protein preparation. I don't care much
>about the criteria used for the fractionation as long as it can be applied
>to small amounts of protein with a relatively high degree of reproducibility
>between different cell types.

Well, how much reduction in complexity do you need? Simple techniques
like ammonium sulfate, ethanol or acetone precipitation will give you may
be 3 or 4 fractions. Heat inactivation gives you 2.
Ion exchange chromatography takes a little more time, but may give you
something like 20 fractions. Alternatively, hydrophobic interaction
chromatography or gel filtration could be used (the latter only on small
volumes).

Without more knowledge of the application, it is difficult to be more
specific.