chloramphenicol resin

Paul N Hengen pnh at
Fri Nov 15 15:30:52 EST 1996

Uttam Rajbhandary (bhandary at wrote:

: I am trying to use a chloramphenicol resin from Sigma to retrieve CAT reporter
: protein made in mammalian cells during transfection.  I'm having a problem
: with elution; can't get it back. I'm using a 1M NaCl/5mM CAM elution; 0.3M
: NaCl as recommended by Sigma will not work for TN9 derived CAT (Type I,
: original reference notes this; Type I needs high salt to recover).
: Has anyone successfully used this resin to
: do this from mammalian cells?

Have you considered using a nickel column to recover CAT from your extracts?
You should have a look at this article...

author = "T. Oswald
     and U. Rinas",
title = "Chloramphenicol resistance interferes with purification of
histidine-tagged fusion proteins from recombinant {{\em  Escherichia coli}}",
journal = "Anal. Biochem.",
volume = "236",
pages = "357-358",
year = "1996"}

Here's an interesting side note..I recently saw and advertisement for a IMAC
(immobilized metal ion affinity chromatography) kit in BioTechniques where the
company selling it claimed high yields when recovering a His-tagged CAT protein.
I wonder if they knew that CAT binds to nickel columns without the His-Tag???
There's a HUGE blob of recovered protein on the gel in their figure.
Slick trick guys ;-)

* National Cancer Institute                       |Internet: pnh at |*
* - - -  Methods FAQ list -> - - -  *
* -  TIBS column archive -> - -  *
* - The BEST Molecular Biology HomePage ->  *