Prep of DNA for electroporation

Sat Nov 16 00:00:27 EST 1996

Dear fellow netters,

I have recently run across a problem that hopefully someone out there has also
run into.  Prior to electroporation, I precipitated a ligation mixture with
EtOH.  But then when I went to electroporate the DNA, I got arcing in the
cuvette-- apparently some of the agarose still present in the ligation mixture
came down with the DNA during precipitation.  My question is, how do you get
rid of this agarose? In my hands, phenol/chloroform extraction will only
partially remove the agarose, is there something else I should try?

Thanks much,

Peter Barrett
barrett at