Autoclaving Reagents

Anssi Heikkilä ansheikk at utu.fi
Tue Nov 19 01:37:10 EST 1996

Rick Bright (rbright at mnw.net) wrote:
:
: 2) In making my 6 Molar NaCl solution, it did not all go into solution.
: During the autoclave process, it spewed all inside the autoclave.  So, I
: need to know how to make it all go into solution and how I should
: autoclave to prevent the explosion.

I haven't checked this from the literature, but I recall that the
solubility of NaCl is somewhere between 4 - 5 M. So it is impossible
to have 6 M solution of NaCl. Atleast I recall that I had some
problems to solubilize NaCl for 4 M solution but I succeeded eventually.

When you autoclave solutions, do not fill the bottles completely.
Leave some space for the solution to boil (if it should occur) in order
to avoid spilling.

	Anssi Heikkilä

  Anssi Heikkilä			  E-Mail: ansheikk at utu.fi