DNA from Whole Blood

Lo Wing Ip Anthony alo at b1.hkstar.com
Tue Nov 19 00:40:44 EST 1996

Steve Rose (MSJSAR at leeds.ac.uk) wrote:
: I have been given frozen samples of blood which have already had their
: lymphocytes removed by density gradient centrifugation. What's left is mainly
: Red Blood cells and Polymorphs. Obviously RBC's dont have any DNA, but the
: POlymorphs do. Does any one have a method for extraction DNA clean enough for
: PCR from these frozen samples?

Hi,
	It depends on how robust have you been testing your PCR. I think
any standard protocol for blood will do. The simplest method is to use 0.1
ml of your frozen sample and incubate in proteinase K for 2 hours at 65 C.
Then phenol-chloroform extraction. Maybe a bit too dirty of fine works.

	Regards,

--
Dr. Anthony W.I. Lo (MB ChB, B Med Sc)	Tel:   (852)-2990-1870
Medical Officer				Fax:   (852)-2370-0969
Princess Margaret Hospital		email: alo at hkstar.com
Lai King Hill, Kowloon. Hong Kong.	http://www.hkstar.com/~alo