DNA from Whole Blood

Mike Irwin bio-rad at inlink.com
Mon Nov 18 21:55:07 EST 1996

In article <56pn3n$dj0_001 at leeds.ac.uk>, MSJSAR at leeds.ac.uk (Steve Rose) wrote:

> I have been given frozen samples of blood which have already had their
> lymphocytes removed by density gradient centrifugation. What's left is mainly
> Red Blood cells and Polymorphs. Obviously RBC's dont have any DNA, but the
> POlymorphs do. Does any one have a method for extraction DNA clean enough for
> PCR from these frozen samples?

You might try Bio-Rad's Instagene PCR sample prep kit. There's a general
kit for about US$0.35 per prep plus specialized kits for whole blood and
dried blood. Catalog numbers are as follows:

InstaGene Kit:          732-6030
InstaGene Whole Blood:  732-6211
InstaGene Dry Blood:    732-6212

Sorry for the commercial post, but it does seem particularly applicable to
the question.
--
Cheers, Mike

PS. Keep an open mind but don't let the wind blow freely thru it.