Why freeze autorads?

Warren Gallin wgallin at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
Thu Nov 21 11:30:01 EST 1996

In Article <5702q5$3s4 at sjx-ixn6.ix.netcom.com>, geneco at ix.netcom.com(The
Great American Gene Company ) wrote:
>Dima Responds:
>
>>I don't think so. Intensifying screens emit light upon absorption of
>>high-energy particles. Light excites silver on film. Freezer is to
>>increase sensitivity of latter.
>
>Dead wrong!  The emission of light is quite temperature dependent.  Get
>hold of DuPont (a leading maker of intensification screens), they have
>data showing the effect of temperature on emission.

As suggested, I contacted DuPont Technical Services and asked.  They stated
quite unequivocally that the enhancing screens are not temperature sensitive
and that the film response is.  Fluorescence is actually a pretty fast
process, so it isn't too surprising that the thermal effect would be small.
    Could you perhaps post a sourec for your information so I can look it up
and figure out what is going on.

Warren Gallin
Department of Biological Sciences
University of Alberta