Storm vs Molecular Imager

Ashok Aiyar aiyar at ebv.oncology.wisc.edu
Thu Nov 21 10:18:21 EST 1996

In article <Peter.Willemsen.1.329454E5 at FYS.rulimburg.nl>, P. Willemsen wrote:
>We are considering purchasing an Imaging system to detect and quantify signals
>from 32P; 33P; 14C and ECL (chemiluminescence).  At the moment we are
>compairing the Storm from Molecular Dynamics and the Molecular Imager (G525)
>from Bio-Rad.  We would appreciate any opinions, positive or negative, from
>anyone familiar with these instruments.

I have used an older Molecular Dynamics instrument, as well as the
Storm.  There are two things that I do not like about the Storm
design:

a) The phosphorimage screens are placed directly on the "glass" plate
   above the scanning head.  Since these screens are heavy and awkward
   to set down in a gentle manner, I am concerned that it is just a
   matter of time before I crack/break the glass plate .....
b) When the Storm scans, it makes a frightful racket, and the
   instrument vibrates.  I wish that Molecular Dynamics had found a
   method to dampen the noise and the vibration.

The old MD instrument we had did neither of these.  As a phosphorimage
scanner the Storm works quite well.

Later,
Ashok
--
Ashok Aiyar, Ph.D.
Department of Oncology            email: aiyar at ebv.oncology.wisc.edu
University of Wisconsin-Madison                  tel: (608) 262-6697