fluorescent RNA stain for microscopy

Frank O. Fackelmayer fof1 at chclu.chemie.uni-konstanz.de
Fri Nov 22 06:54:59 EST 1996

Hi everyone!
I´m looking for a fluorescent stain that is specific for RNA (no DNA
staining!) and can be used in fluorescence microsopy of nuclei. What I
would like to have is something like Hoechst 33258 or DAPI or EtBr, but
for RNA. As I don´t want to visualize a specific RNA (or poly A-RNA), in
situ hybridization cannot be used. Rather, all types of RNA should be
stained.

I know of some chemicals that light up DNA and RNA, but with different
colors (e.g. acridine orange and derivatives). However, this is NOT what I
want to use unless absolutely necessary.

Any hints, references, and suppliers are appreciated!

You can reach me directly via e-mail at:
fof1 at chclu.chemie.uni-konstanz.de

--
Dr. Frank O. Fackelmayer
Division of Biology