antisense technology?

Paul N Hengen pnh at ncifcrf.gov
Fri Nov 22 16:10:10 EST 1996

Elizabeth Rosenberg (erosenbe at gpu3.srv.ualberta.ca) wrote:

> OK.  I said we were new to this game.  I apparently don't have the jargon
> down quite yet.

The funny thing is I knew exactly what you were trying to say, but this is
a huge trap you might want to avoid in the future. The antisense problem has
been discussed in great depth here before. I saw someone else ask a question
on sense and antisense, but I think we are all so burned out on it that it's
not worth discussing again. If you want to see what others have suggested,
I'll print the reference here.

@article{Hengen1996Aprtibs,
author = "P. N. Hengen",
title = "Methods and reagents - Is there any sense
in antisense terminology?",
volume = "21",
number = "4",
pages = "153-154",
month = "apr",
year = "1996"}

> Therefore, we "plan" to use various restriction
> fragments of our cDNA in the pREP10 construct.  Hope this is more clear.
> Is this an acceptable strategy?

Maybe you should start from the perspective of introns versus exons rather than
arbitrarily selecting a restriction fragment from the cDNA clone which might
span across a junction. It's just a thought, since I have not done this kind of
thing before. Does the technique work for RNA already spliced? Maybe someone
with experience in it can suggest a better way to decide on which sequence
would be best for binding mRNA in vivo. That's the goal here right?