DNA Quantification

Edouard Lauzier elauzier at fse.ulaval.ca
Sat Nov 23 12:02:30 EST 1996

In article (Dans l'article) <3297162E.6048 at mnw.net>, Rick Bright
<rbright at mnw.net> wrote (écrivait) :

> I have extracted DNA from whole blood and have checked the purity using
> the 260/280 ratio.  My professor then asked me how much DNA I extracted,
> in micrograms.  Stumped as I was, I thought I would ask for a method or
> equation that would tell me this.  A rough estimate is fine, is there is
> an easy technique or formula.  Thanks.

Well,

1 A260 unit of double stranded DNA = 50 micrograms/microliter ( single
stranded = 33 )

Knowing your dilution, you can get the [ ] of your sample and then you
multiply by the volume and bang ! it's done...

Bye
Edouard Lauzier, B.Sc.                           elauzier at fse.ulaval.ca
Physical Activity Science Laboratory       (418) 656-2131 #2929
(Laval University)  G1K 7P4
CANADA