AmpliTaq Gold

Alexander Kraev kraev at bc.biol.ethz.ch
Mon Nov 25 09:46:48 EST 1996

Inc.) wrote:

> > Anyone have experience using AmpliTaq Gold from Perkin Elmer?
Specifically,
snip

> Apparently so Jennifer, but probably no cleaner than a good hotstart. Its
> easier and no contamination worry. They use a heat labile crosslink to
> inactivate the Taq pol until after the initial denature, according to
> trustworthy rumors. There are cheaper ways to do this and hasn't PE/Cetus
> made enough money off PCR already? I'd test with a good hotstart and see
> if its worth it to go for the "Gold".

I'd like to see how you do a hot start with 96 samples at a time ( no wax beads,
no Taqstart  antibody etc...). I think that was the idea beyond the Taq Gold.
For screening purposes you can easily make your reactions in a minimal
volume you can handle ( i.e. 6 ul) to save the reagents.

No affiliation to PE.

--
Alexander Kraev, PhD
Biochemie III, ETHZ Zurich