Seeking RNA assay

Bradley Turner bsturner at MBCRR.HARVARD.EDU
Mon Nov 25 10:36:29 EST 1996

Dear Bionetters,

I'm looking for a protocol or reference describing either spectrophotometric
or fluorimetric assay of total RNA in solution.  I would prefer something
alittle more sensative than the OD 260/280, and it would NOT have to
differentiate between RNA and DNA since my samples should be pure RNA.

I tried a search of MEDLINE with RNA and acridine orange only to find that
most references were for the use of acridine orange for staining RNA in cells
for flow cytometry-I don't know if any of these methods have been adapted
for the simple solution assay of RNA.

And suprisingly, the Molecular Probes fluorescence handbook didn't have
anything specific along these lines either.

Thanks in advance,
Brad Turner

		    Bradley Turner
	        Beth Israel Deaconess
                    Medical Center

Harvard Medical School		617-667-1215 phone
Division of Gastroenterology	617-667-2767 fax
Room Dana 536			bsturner at mbcrr.harvard.edu
330 Brookline Avenue		bturner at bidmc.harvard.edu
Boston, MA 02215		turner at sprcore.bidmc.harvard.edu