WHY DON'T WE FREEZE 35-S AUTORADS ?

Tom Duncan duncant at cross.bmb.hscsyr.edu
Tue Nov 26 19:40:03 EST 1996

S. Silverman wrote:

> I believe the energy of the 35-S alpha particle is not high enough to
> penetrate the film, and thus use of intensifying screens, cold or not,
> is of little use.
> --
> Sanford Silverman               >Opinions expressed here are my own<
> American Cyanamid
> silvermans at pt.cyanamid.com                      "Yeast is Best"

	This is a lingering misconception. A greater fraction of beta-emission
(it is not alpha) from 35-S will be absorbed before it reaches the
screen, but I have tested it directly and found that a good intensifying
screen does amplify 35-S signal and will shorten the exposure time
needed. Most 35-S signal will also penetrate through plastic wrap if
this is left on the dried gel.
--
	Thomas M. Duncan
	Dept. Biochemistry & Molecular Biology