Codon preferences

Derek Parsonage dp at
Wed Nov 27 11:04:40 EST 1996

In article <9610258489.AA848949980 at>,
jkellogg at ("Jill Kellogg") wrote:

> Dear Netters,
> I would like to make a file, based on peptide sequences in the Swis-Prot
> database, that would show the codon preferences of a single species, e.g. homo
> sapiens.  That is the program would be able to look at all the Homo sapien
> protein sequences and tabulate the usage of each codon.  However, I
can't find a
> program capable of determining codon preferences and displaying those
> preferences.  If anyone knows of a program like this please let me know.
> Thanks, Jill
> jkellogg at

There is a web page giving codon usage tables at

The tables are generated from GenBank, but if you only want Swiss-Prot
maybe you can do some editing, or talk to the people running the site.
Hope this helps

Derek Parsonage                        Wake Forest University
Dept. of Biochemistry                     Medical Center
dp at                 Winston-Salem NC  USA