Microplasma

Mr. G. Morley gmorley at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Thu Nov 28 06:56:43 EST 1996

Hi I don't really have an in depth knowledge of
cell culture so I was wondering if someone could
help me with a problem I have....
I am culturing some retroviral infected cells
(Rat-2 fibrobasts and stem cells). The incubator
I was growing them up in also contained some
foetal primary tissue and I was wondering if
it was likely that microplasma might have infected
my cell lines? The primary tissue was only in the incubator
over night but "better safe than sorry".
As far as I am aware microplasma are parasitic organisms
that live inside eukaryotic cells and can alter their
growth rates as well as other parameters.
Any information or advice would be welcome.
Thanks in advance...
Gary Morley
gmorley at rpms.ac.uk