Plant DNA Extraction

Rick Bright rbright at mnw.net
Fri Nov 29 18:43:12 EST 1996

I have successfully extracted DNA from whole blood and frozen blood
using a non-toxic (no phenol-chloroform) technique.  It seems to be
quite pure without an additional purification step.

My next step is to find a simila (non-toxic) technique for Plant DNA.  I
can adapt what I have, maybe, changing the detergent and adding an
exzyme (papain) step.  I am hoping someone has come across a good
method.

Also, what type of plant would be best to use initially?  I attempted an
onion and it was not that successful.  I would appreciate any ideas for
a plant to use that is not as hard to break down.

Thanks for your help.

Rick Bright