cyclers PE2400 or MJ minicycler?

WSchick at aol.com WSchick at aol.com
Tue Oct 1 08:45:57 EST 1996

In a message dated 96-10-01 05:22:32 EDT, IKHT5 at CC.UAB.ES (orlando dominguez)
writes:

<< we are requiring sharp temperature block uniformity

 is there any user that (checked it and) found temperature fluctuations
 lower than 0.5 C into the same AND between different wells  >>

Note: the sample (inside the tube) temperature fluctuation may be even more
than the well-to-well variation if each tube does not make identical contact
with the well surfac, and there may be different convection currents in the
conical liquid sample inside the tube.  Has anyone ever tested this?

If you require the best uniformity between samples, you should consider the
Idaho Technology Rapid Cycler.   Its about the same price as the PE 2400 and
handles 48 samples.  Temperature ramping is transferred to cylindrical
samples in glass capillaries by turbulent air, so temperatures inside the
tube will be more uniform than any metal block/plastic tube/conical sample
system.

The Rapid Cyclist web page  (http://128.110.195.115/) includes some papers on
techniques that benefit from faster temperature ramping and better
temperature uniformity.  One paper from Arkansas compared the PE 480 cycler
and the MJ minicycler and several others with the Rapid Cycler.

You could contact Idaho at  it at idahotec.com for customers near you.

I demonstrate these cyclers in California.  You should make your own
comparison and evaluation.  I hope this information helps you.

Walt Schick
ATR Biotech
Emryville, CA