Viscous DNA solution

Gene Huh gshuh at
Thu Oct 3 16:16:43 EST 1996

> On 29 Sep 1996, Hongyu Yang wrote:
> >
> > I isolated DNA from plant leaves which was so viscous that we could not
> > separate it with an agarose gel after "digestion".

By "digestion", do you mean restriction digestion.  I was under the
impression that plant nuclear genomic DNA tends to be resistant to the
action of some restriction enzymes to to its (highly?) methylated state.

BTW, the DNA should be viscous if it's a good prep.  The addition of DNase
should get rid of the viscosity in a matter of minutes, if in fact it is

Gene Huh
gshuh at