PE 9600 for cycle sequencing ?

Jan Hoolwerf hoolwerf at solair1.inter.nl.net
Fri Oct 4 04:48:30 EST 1996

Hello,

At this moment we are using a Perkin Elmer 480 for most of our work.

One of the applications is sequencing with the Amersham ThermoSequenase
fluorescent labelled primer cycle sequence kit RPN 2436 and with this kit we
use a volume of 12 microliters covered with a drop of oil to prevent
evaporation.

No problems with the reaction but the use of oil (also in the PE 480) is a
messy thing and especially with those small volumes it's something i really
would like to give up.

So, since we also have a PE 9600 cycler the obvious thought is to do all the
work in that machine. No oil, in or outside the tubes, small tubes... it seems
like heaven. <g>

But my concern is the small volume i'm using. Simply stated i'm afraid i will
loose to much of the 12 microliters.

Has anyone experience with the PE 9600 for this type of work? Any tips to
share? An optimal program perhaps?

with regards, Jan Hoolwerf

******************* these words were mine, all mine !! ********************
 J.D. Hoolwerf
 Neth. Inst. for Dairy Research
 P.O. Box 20                        phone  : 31-318-659511
 6710 BA  Ede                       fax    : 31-318-650400
 the Netherlands                    e-mail : hoolwerf at solair1.inter.nl.net