Making 2% skimmed milk in PBS

martin LEACH leach at bu.edu
Thu Oct 3 16:55:53 EST 1996

Alex Chang (lpss at unixg.ubc.ca) wrote:
: I am trying to make 2% skimmed milk in PBS for blocking during my panning
: procedures. I am wondering how to make it sterile. I know you can
: autoclave it. I did it last time, the bottle returned to me with brown
: solutions, I guess it was overdone. Well, our autoclaving is done by a
: centralized service. That means we don't have control over the time and
: temperture. I also tried filtration using 0.2 um filters, but the milk
: solution clogged the filter easily.

: Any solutions to this problem?

did you try using several pre-filters in front of the 0.2 micron filter...

this works well for us when filtering chick embryo extract etc... and other
assorted goos....

later

Martin

: --