HELP NEEDED: How you pronounce pUC?

Joao Vasconcelos Costa jcosta at pen.gulbenkian.pt
Fri Oct 4 02:35:32 EST 1996

johanna preiszner wrote:

> The question may be crazy for everyone. I have a colleague, who insists,
> that everyone she knows pronounce it as "puc" [pak]. I am not sure it is the
> right way. I have never ever heard other way than [pi-ju-si']. Both of us is
> in cloning for years, and coming from different places. Please help us,
> because we are fighting, and getting tired of this. Make your vote!!
> Thanks, Hanna

Since English-speaking people is divided between "puck" and "puke" and
French, German, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese speakers (and probably
many more) pronounce "puke", why not to standardize in this last way?

--
*****   JOAO VASCONCELOS COSTA, MD, PhD
*****   Instituto Gulbenkian de Ciencia - Oeiras, Portugal
*****   mailto:jcosta at pen.gulbenkian.pt