Cheap transilluminator

L. Bastian yacman at homer18
Fri Oct 4 07:50:45 EST 1996

Administrador de iihema.fmed.uba.ar (postmast at iihema.fmed.uba.ar) wrote:

: Dear netters,

: I'm starting a new lab and we're, as ever, a bit short of money.  I need
: to build a cheap UV transilluminator for my agarose gels 'till we get hold
: of some cash to buy a new one.
: My question is:  Can I just build it with a couple of 320 nm UV lamps or
: do I absolutely need the filter (which is kinda expensive).

One option you might consider is to buy a very small economy
transilluminator for visualizing minigels only.  I think they are
available from BRL.  There are also hand-held models available (can't
remember source) if you only want to see the bands and don't really need
photographic evidence.  HTH

 --
L. Scot Bastian Ph.D.			206-762-1010 ext. 1918 (voice)
University of Washington at the         206-764-2689 (FAX)