Toxic genes

Tim Angelotti 102055.606 at compuserve.com
Fri Oct 4 13:01:50 EST 1996

If this repeats itself, I apologize, but my mail got a little
funky on me.  I am trying to clone a cDNA in Bluescript and I found that
all of my clones with the right orientation were very poor in growing and
that the others all grew well.  Now I take this to mean that it is a
toxic gene (an extracellular protein with a single TM domain).  Now, why
does this occur?  Is it because the protein is being produced somehow or
is it because a cryptic bacterial promoter is being used that is encoding
a toxic gene product?  Any opinions outh there?  And next, what to do
about it.  Do I try to use ABLE or TOPP cells from Stratagene that limit
plasmid levels and hence toxicity?  And last, do I assume that any
positive clones I receive are screwed up, rearranged?

Tim Angelotti
TU Muenchen
Institute for Pharmacology