Luciferase half-life?

Ferland Louis H. ferlandl at ERE.UMontreal.CA
Sat Oct 5 02:48:00 EST 1996

Martin, John, and all the rest of you, Netters,

The half-life of the protein is only half of the story. I am in a
position similar to John's i.e. I want to verify possible (expected)
rapid inhibition of a transfected promoter driving the LUC reporter. But,
to have an idea of whether LUC is useable for this type of experiment, we
need not only the half-life of the LUC protein, but also of its mRNA.
Does anyone have any data on this?

We're just going to give it a try...

- Louis

On 2 Oct 1996, martin LEACH wrote:

> Date: 2 Oct 1996 20:19:26 GMT
> From: martin LEACH <leach at bu.edu>
> To: methods at net.bio.net
> Subject: Re: Luciferase half-life?
>
> Hi john
>
> I believe the half life of luciferase is around 4.5 hours....(protein)
> I believe this was determined in NIH fibroblasts...not sure though
>
> Martin
>
> jstrassw at OPAL.TUFTS.EDU wrote:
> : Hello!
> : I would like to use a fos-luciferase reporter in HeLa cells.  I will
> : co-transfect a plasmid to express what I hope is an inhibitor of
> : signalling and will be reflectedin a decrease in luciferase activity.
>
> : The question: what is the half-life of luciferase in hela cells?  When I
> : starve then stimulate the cells with serum, then azzay, I will have
> : serium-induced luciferase as well as background luciferase.
>
> : Any ideas?
> : Thanks,
> : John
>

> : ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> : John Strasswimmer, MD,PhD Candidate    | Phone (617) 636 8396
> : Tufts - New England Medical Center     | Fax   (617) 636 6190
> : Box 166                                | Email:  jstrassw at opal.tufts.edu
> : Boston, MA 02111 USA                   |
> :      HTTP://WWW.healthsci.tufts.edu/microbiology/strass/JSpage.HTML
> :      *** Co-Author of "HyperBug" Microbiology Teaching Software ***
> :                                        |
> : Remember, Your employer is eavesdropping...
> : ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>

> --
> .....          Martin Leach                Email:leach at bu.edu
>    _|____      Dept. of Pharmacology       Phone: (617) 638-5323
>    / o  /      Boston Univ. School of Med. Fax:   (617) 638-4329
>  _/  |-/__==/  80 E. Concord St. (L603)
> (BULLDOZER) \_ Boston MA 02118            "Not the old underpants
>                USA                                on your
>                                              head.....WIBBLE"
>
> My homepage: http://155.41.115.114/Leach.html
> Biotech company WWW REgistry has moved to: http://www.data-transport.com
> Check out the Biotech Rumor mill: http://155.41.115.114/jumper/rumor.html

Dr. Louis H. Ferland
Centre de Recherche, Hotel-Dieu de Montreal
Dept de Nutrition, Universite de Montreal
Phone: (514) 843-2757     FAX: (514) 843-2719