Ion-free water for human consumption?

Milverneus Millerion miller at diamond.jcn1.com
Sat Oct 5 11:27:17 EST 1996

krasel at wpxx02.toxi.uni-wuerzburg.de (Cornelius Krasel) writes: > z (un691cs at genius.embnet.dkfz-heidelberg.de) wrote:
> > So my question is: is it healthy or not to drink distilled or VE water.
> > are there any studies that describe damage to the organism ?
>
> AFAIK it's an urban legend. BTW, VE water is usually prepared by two
> consecutive ion exchanger steps.
>
> Thread renamed. Followups narrowed.
>
> --Cornelius.
>
> --
> /* Cornelius Krasel, U Wuerzburg, Dept. of Pharmacology, Versbacher Str. 9 */
> /* D-97078 Wuerzburg, Germany   email: phak004 at rzbox.uni-wuerzburg.de  SP3 */
> /* "Science is the game we play with God to find out what His rules are."  */

DeIonized water contains no Sodium, Calcium, Magnesium, or any other ions
good, or bad, in it.  When you drink the water it is devoid of salt.
Electrolyte balance, however, is maintained by the kidneys.  I have
consumed DI water from some faucets in some chemistry labs and prefer
its taste (or lack of it) to other waters.  I am not sure if it would be
better for someone on a low sodium diet than hard water.  Flouridation,
which occurs in some places, might reduce cavities, however, I don't
know what other effects it might have.  As to studies I don't know... .