PCR robocycler

Marc Visconti marcvis at resunix.ri.sickkids.on.ca
Fri Oct 4 13:47:59 EST 1996

> We plan to buy a new PCR machine, and are attracted by the Stratagene
> Robocycler Gradient 40 Temperature Cycler, mainly for the possibility of
> testing different annealing temperatures in the same run.
> Does anyone there has a (good or bad) opinion on this system, which does
> not come cheap...
We have one and are quite happy with it...except for the fact that when
you buy it they don't tell you that you might not experience the
greatest heat transfer (which is the whole idea behind the cycler IMO).
After consultation with Stratagene, they suggested placing mineral oil
in each well to aid in heat transfer.  Needless to say...it makes a big
mess.  If you're willing to clean mineral oil periodically from your
thermal cycler, you'll get great consistent results with it.