Finding Target Genes for DNA Binding Proteins

Michael J. Prigge prigge at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Sat Oct 5 21:10:07 EST 1996

William J. Meilandt (wmeiland at lonestar.jpl.utsa.edu) wrote:
: We have a putative DNA binding protein and would like to identify the
: genomic sequences to which the potein binds to.  Does any one have
: references or ideas they would like to share?

 I recently came across another technique which may or may not interest
you. There was an abstract describing the use of a transcription
factor::nuclease fusion transgene. Theoretically, the fusion protein could
bind to a target gene's promoter and the nuclease would cleave flanking
DNA. If repair wasn't clean, a phenotype-causing mutation may result. The
abstract was from the 1996 Arabidopsis Meeting
(http://nasc.nott.ac.uk/Norwich/contents/Norwich.html) and the authors
were Lariguet Patricia, Herzog Michel & Vachon Gilles. No results were
discussed in the abstract, but it sounded like a cool idea.

Just thought I would share
Mike

Michael J. Prigge                     prigge at darkwing.uoregon.edu
University of Oregon               Institute of Molecular Biology