IMPACT kit from new england biolabs...

Dr. Duncan Clark duncan at genesys.demon.co.uk
Mon Oct 7 05:26:14 EST 1996

In article <siyer-0510961822540001 at bmg146.cmc.uab.edu>, Arioch
<siyer at bmg.bhs.uab.edu> writes
>hey all,
>        just saw this in the september 6th issue of cell.  this is a new
>kit from NEB that claims that you can get pure NATIVE protein (no fusions)
>in "one" step.  basically they use proteins called inteins that are fused
>to YPOI.  this undergoes directed cleavage when you add DTT (cleave a S-S
>bond somewhere right before the fused region) and you get native protein
>with no fusion domain to it.  anybody try this and if so, what is the
>yield like??  how good is this system?  seems like a cool idea, but as
>alwayz with any kit, i'm sceptical...any info on this would be
>apprciated...thanx much...

They are using a modified intein and from data I saw presented at a
conference a few weeks back it is a very promising system. My only
queries are:
1.      Is if the affinity column is reusable?
2.      How expensive is the affinity column 'cos it's OK purifying
proteins on a shake flask scale but I need to work on a much larger
scale.

Duncan

Duncan Clark
DNAmp Ltd.