Nested Deletions Kits for Sequencing

Dr. Duncan Clark duncan at genesys.demon.co.uk
Mon Oct 7 05:22:08 EST 1996

In article <martinez-0510961512270001 at mac20.agoff.umn.edu>, "J. Pat
Martinez" <martinez at puccini.CRL.umn.edu> writes
>I need to sequence a 10 kb fragment and will use a strategy based on a
>series of nested deletions.  I'm aware of two different strategies for
>generating nested deletions.  One strategy  uses Exonuclease III and
>Mungbean nuclease, and the other uses transposon mediated deletions
>(Deletion factory by BRL).  I was leaning toward the Exonuclease/Mungbean
>nuclease based kits.   Any suggestions on which manufacture to go with,
>such as Promega's Erase a Base kit or Stratagene's deletion kit.  Thanks
>for your suggestions.
>
>Pat M.

I've never used either but have liked the methodology behind the
transposon since someone came up with the idea for cosmids many years
ago. The other point is to remember that there are always a lot of posts
a year from people asking for help sorting out problems with the
exoIII/mung bean method. It may be worth scanning the archives for this
news group before you decide.

Duncan

Duncan Clark
DNAmp Ltd.