DNA from paraffin tissue section.

Gregory Jacobson gmj at waikato.ac.nz
Mon Oct 7 15:55:05 EST 1996

I need get some DNA from part of a tissue section (Breast Ductal
Carcinoma) for PCR and subsequent CFLP or SSCP.  I have removed the
paraffin from the sections using xylene and alcohol washes. I will use a
silcon pen to isolate the tumour cells.

 I would be grateful for advice about a method for protease treating the
tissue :
  Is TE the best buffer to use?
  How do I apply the proteinase K? (With buffer? or after soaking tissue in TE?)
  Should I incubate the slide at 42 degrees C? (higher?)
  Can I simply pipette the DNA off the tissue section after proteinase K
  treatment?

 Thanking you in advance,
  Gregory Jacobson
  2nd year MSc