Finding Target Genes for DNA Binding Proteins

Paul N Hengen pnh at ncifcrf.gov
Mon Oct 7 11:20:35 EST 1996

Michael J. Prigge (prigge at darkwing.uoregon.edu) wrote:

: I recently came across another technique which may or may not interest
: you. There was an abstract describing the use of a transcription
: factor::nuclease fusion transgene. Theoretically, the fusion protein could
: bind to a target gene's promoter and the nuclease would cleave flanking
: DNA. If repair wasn't clean, a phenotype-causing mutation may result. The
: abstract was from the 1996 Arabidopsis Meeting
: (http://nasc.nott.ac.uk/Norwich/contents/Norwich.html) and the authors
: were Lariguet Patricia, Herzog Michel & Vachon Gilles. No results were
: discussed in the abstract, but it sounded like a cool idea.

Oh yeah, you reminded me of a really cool way to identify binding sites given
that you have a well characterized purified protein and it can be manipulated.
Look at this paper for some really nice work on using a modified protein for
identifying sites and then cloning the DNA protected by the binding protein.

@article{Pan1996,
author = "C. Q. Pan
 and R. C. Johnson
 and D. S. Sigman",
title = "Identification of New {Fis} Binding Sites by {DNA} Scission with
{Fis}-1,10-phenanthroline-Copper{(I)} Chimeras",
journal = "Biochem.",
volume = "35",
pages = "4326-4333",
year = "1996"}