RNA isolation from brain tissue...help!

Shelley Cole shelley at DARWIN.SFBR.ORG
Tue Oct 8 12:18:17 EST 1996

Dear Chris,

I have isolated total RNA from brain tissue using several micro-scale
kits that use guanidine thiocyanate, and, depending on the prep, I have
gotten 10 to 50 ug of RNA from 150mg of starting tissue.  I have used
gross brain tissue, and in my hands, cerebellum, cortex, hippocampus,
hypothalamus have all given variable amounts of total RNA per 150mg of
starting tissue.

I have also isolated poly(A+)-enriched RNA from choroid plexus and
hypothalamus using Invitrogen's micro-scale FastTrack kit, and gotten ng
quantities (enough to amplify a portion of my gene of interest using
RT-PCR).

Hope this helps some.

Shelley Cole
Staff Scientist
Southwest Foundation for Biomedical Research