PCR inhibited by Redivue nucleotides???

Keith Grimaldi k.grimaldi at ucl.ac.uk
Tue Oct 8 10:15:21 EST 1996

I recently came across a piece which states that RediVue nucleotides
(Amersham) inhibit taq polymerase - does any body have any experience of
this?

Source:   http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Luis_Branco/tipnine.htm

Text:   Some two years ago Amersham Life Sciences, a leading manufacturer
and distributor
or radiolabeled compounds, introduced Redivue (TM). Redivue is a trademark for a
series of 32-P labeled compounds that the company claims are stable at +4
deg. C over
extended periods of time. In fact, the company claims that Redivue
nucleotides have a
longer half-life than standard 32-P preparations. Redivue nucleotides are
red due to
the addition of a dye. This dye is supposedly harmless to enzymes used in
radiolabeling
applications. It has just come to our attention, however, that Redivue
nucleotides
cannot be used in PCR reactions employing Taq DNA Polymerase. The substance
added to Redivue to stabilize the compound at higher temperatures longer is
severely
inhibitory to this enzyme. This fact is not divulged in the product insert
literature. If
your application calls for radiolabeling of nucleic acids by PCR, using Taq DNA
Polymerase, choose a standard, non Redivue, 32-P labeled nucleotide.