Why are concentrated enzymes more stable?

Dima Klenchin klenchin at facstaff.wisc.edu
Wed Oct 9 20:35:27 EST 1996

In article <newitt-0910961330520001 at 128.231.113.35>,
   newitt at nih.gov (John A. Newitt) wrote:
->In article <mac446-0410961737230001 at hastingsq610.harvard.edu>,
->mac446 at hastingslab.harvard.edu (Thomas F. Fagan) wrote:
->
->> Isn't it a matter of unfolding? The more concentrated the enzyme is
the
->> more likely it is to be bound to other enzyme molecules by hydrogen
->> bonding or other interactions and the less likely it is to
spontaneously
->> unfold.  This is why you can substitute "enzyme" with BSA or some
other
->> stabilizing protein.
->
->I think sticking to surfaces has a lot to do with it. A large percentage
->of your protein will be lost due to nonspecific sticking to the tube,
etc
->when it is too dilute.

I don't think so. Long time ago I compared stability of very dilute
IgG-peroxidase conjugates incubated in either control tubes and in
tubes extensively preblocked (and washed) with BSA. A loss of
activity due to sticking contributed minor portion of the overall loss.

- Dima