T7 Phage expression system

ijiwaru at wheel.dcn.davis.ca.us ijiwaru at wheel.dcn.davis.ca.us
Tue Oct 8 23:11:54 EST 1996

In article <genecutl-0810962054520001 at kosh-161b-2.berkeley.edu>,
genecutl at mendel.berkeley.edu (gc) wrote:

> I have a protein that I want to express which is toxic to E.coli.  I
> would like to get my hands on an E. coli system in which cells
> are infected with a T7 polymerase-containing phage rather than adding
> IPTG to express an endogenous T7 polymerase.  If anyone knows where I
> can find a system like this I would be most grateful.
>
> --gc
>
> ...doom is like the handle of a pot, |        stop waiting, it's
> it's there, know it, have ice in your|         already happened.
> tea, marry, have children, visit your|   genecutl at mendel.berkeley.edu
> dentist, do not scream at night even |
> if you feel like screaming...   -cb  |

If you have no luck in finding the phage you want (sorry, I don't have it
either) or you just want to give something a try, try adding some glucose
to your LB to keep the lacUV5 promoter repressed.  We've had some luck
doing this and it allows us to keep the cultures around a bit longer.

Lyle Najita
Plant Pathology
University of California - Davis