smear in PCR

Harold Rees hrees at mail2.sas.upenn.edu
Wed Oct 9 10:43:22 EST 1996

Peggy De Clercq (peggy.declercq at med.kuleuven.ac.be) wrote:
: At the beginning of my experiments it worked well but after some PCRs I
: got a smear, also in the negative. Sometimes I have samples that work

If you get a smear in the negative, you have contaminated some reagent or
your master mix with foreign DNA that is amplified by your primers.  Or,
your annealing temperature is low enough that something weird is going on
(we have had this problem before).  Try using new reagents.  Hope this helps.

--
Monell Chemical Senses Center           *"Oh well, whatever, nevermind"*