Agarose Manufacture

Robert Randolph rand777 at ids.net
Wed Oct 9 09:22:16 EST 1996

On 9 Oct 1996 00:19:04 GMT, tedm at darkwing.uoregon.edu (Ted Michelini)
wrote:

>In article <32483E6E.7055 at compuserve.com>, Neil Rawlyk
><75332.2226 at compuserve.com> wrote:
>
>> I know that agar is derived from kelp but does anyone know
>> how agarose is manufactured from the agar?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Neil

Aside from the "cute" answers to your question...try my our method.
We have been preparing "agarose" for years for our own use. We have
run parallel pocedures using our material and comerical product which
yield similar results.  Start with a bacteriological grade agar...it
is not necessary to use noble or purified agar..Add 500 gm to a 6-10
liter container.  Fill container with cold DI water.  Place a large
magnet stir bar in container and place on stirrer.   For the first
week change water daily by turning off stirrer and allowing the agar
to settle. Then pour off water and refill.  There after, change the
water once a week for a month.  After that change the water monthly
for several months.  "Agarose" is ready for use.  To use, pour off an
amount greater than needed.  Do a final wash with fresh DI water. I
then centrifuge the final washed material in 300 ml centrifuge flask
and recover the "agarose."  Obviously, the first batch takes a long
time to get to....after that we always have some in progress to
replace the used material....I have some that is several years old.
If anyone would like some to compare e-mail me at rand777 at ids.net
R.Randolph
--
 Robert Randolph    Randolph Biomedical
 21 McElroy Street   West Warwick, RI 02893
     401-826-1407   rand777 at ids.net
  http://www2.ids.net/~rand777/home.htm