GST-fusion yield 50mg/0.5 lt culture?

Didier Thomas dmthomas at orion.oac.uci.edu
Wed Oct 9 23:57:29 EST 1996

In article <vurquidi.1195365225A at news.ox.ac.uk>, vurquidi at molbiol.ox.ac.uk
(Virginia Urquidi) wrote:

> I'd appreciate the comments of those with experience in the subject.
>
> The protein yields for GST fusion proteins according to the Pharmacia
> purification protocols are the following:
>
>                         50mg    10mg    1mg     50ug
> Culture volume          20lt    4lt     20ml    1ml
>
> Someone has just said to me that he produced 50mg of pure protein out of
> half a liter culture. Is that feasible?
>
> Also, the 0.5 lt culture was inoculated with the total of the 50ml overnight
> culture (instead of the recommended 1:100 dilution). Is this sensible?
>
> Is the OD600 between 0.5 and 2 adequate for induction? What would happen if
> you induce at much higher cell densities?
>
> Thanks in advance for your comments

 Virginia,

never expect this kind of yield. 50 mg of gst fusion protein per .5 l of
culture is a joke !!

Induction should be started on an exponentially growing culture (OD ~ .5
is OK) and should last at least 3 hrs.

Temperature : 30 or 37 C depending on your protein.

Keep in mind that the yield depends also on the size of your fusion
protein. The longer the less you get in a bacterial system.

Good luck.

Didier

--
Didier Thomas