FREE - E. coli codon usage analysis program

Morris Maduro Morris_maduro at biology.ualberta.ca
Thu Oct 10 00:35:20 EST 1996

Dear Fellow molecular biologists,

Awhile back I posted a table of E. coli codon usage.  Based on the few
people who emailed me, I realized there might be a demand for a program
that would quickly allow people to analyze sequences for codon usage in E.
coli.  This may help analysis of expression of foreign proteins -- although
the role of codon bias is still not well defined.

The program is in Javascript and so will run on almost any Web browser
(e.g. Netscape 2.0 or higher).  It produces a report of the codon usage of
an inputted coding region.  As Javascript runs on a virtual machine
platform, the program seems to be fussy about sequences longer than 750 bp
(i.e. 250 a.a.) or so, but this is not really a major problem as sequences
can be entered in parts.

The program is not competely self-contained.  If you want to save it to
your hard drive you will have to add the files "whitebar.GIF", "redbar.GIF"
and "greenbar.GIF" from the same directory.

The URL for the program, which also gives the full reference (and has a
link to the codon usage table) is:

http://www.biology.ualberta.ca/pilgrim.hp/usage2.0c.html

And please send me feedback (good or bad)!

Sincerely,

Morris Maduro
morris_maduro at biology.ualberta.ca