DNA from paraffin tissue section.

XIAO-MIN SU sumini at welchlink.welch.jhu.edu
Fri Oct 11 16:44:25 EST 1996

On Tue, 8 Oct 1996, Gregory Jacobson wrote:

> I need get some DNA from part of a tissue section (Breast Ductal
> Carcinoma) for PCR and subsequent CFLP or SSCP.  I have removed the
> paraffin from the sections using xylene and alcohol washes. I will use a
> silcon pen to isolate the tumour cells.
>
>  I would be grateful for advice about a method for protease treating the
> tissue :
>   Is TE the best buffer to use?
>   How do I apply the proteinase K? (With buffer? or after soaking tissue in TE?)
>   Should I incubate the slide at 42 degrees C? (higher?)
>   Can I simply pipette the DNA off the tissue section after proteinase K
>   treatment?
>
>  Thanking you in advance,
>   Gregory Jacobson
>   2nd year MSc
>   Uni. of Waikato
>   Hamilton
>   New Zealand
>
>       Please email : gmj at waikato.ac.nz

Gregory,

Here is the protocal we use.

Scrape the tissue off the slide. Transfer into a 1.5 ml microfuge tube.
Spin the tissue to the bottom of the tube.

For a 6 micrometer thick, and 5 mm X 5 mm tissue, add 50 microliter 1 X
TK buffer. Vortex for 5 sec. Bump down in microfuge. Incubate at 56 C
overnight.

Spin down briefly. Add 100 microliter 5% chelex 100 in 0.1 TE9. Vortex
for 5 sec. Bump down in microfuge. Incubate at 100 C for 10 min. Vortex
for 5 sec. Spin in microfuge for 2 min. Store at -20 C.

The DNA now can be used directly as PCR template. We use 1 microliter in
a 10 microliter reaction.

10 X TK buffer:
50 microliter Tween 20
20 microliter 100 mg/ml proteinase K in TE9
930 microliter TE9

TE9:
121 g Trizma base
14.9 g EDTA