pZErO from Clontech

Richard Friedman rfriedma at thunder.ocis.temple.edu
Fri Oct 11 11:29:23 EST 1996

In article <Pine.LNX.3.91.961009171722.8186A-100000 at morpheus.wustl.edu>,
gerry at MORPHEUS.WUSTL.EDU (Gerald Downes) wrote:

> Netters!
>
> I received a pamplet from Clontech that describes their
> pZErO cloning vector.  Of course it *sounds* like heaven on earth (ease
> of use with no background) but is there a catch?  Does anyone have
> experience with this vector or another that is supposed to give
> virtually no backgroud (CIP treated vectors excluded).
>
> Gerry

The catch is that the plasmid can only be grown in a gyrA44 (I think)
mutant. I don't think the standard gyrA mutants (such as DH5alpha) will do
the job. As for the stain used in selection, probably any gyrA+ strain will
work. They make you sign a license agreement that you won't make or
distribute the plasmid. So after you use up the supply of cells and DNA
they send you you have to buy more.

 We have written to the person who developed the prototype for this plasmid
asking for the plasmid and stocks (pretty typical since this was published
in to peer reviewed journals) and have not heard from him.

--
-Rich
rfriedma at thunder.ocis.temple.edu