gfp and aequorin

Xiaoxi Zhuang xz9 at columbia.edu
Sun Oct 13 09:07:55 EST 1996

I'm very surprised to notice that there's only one
paper on gfp transgenic mice and none on aequorin
transgenic mice.  I have been thinking
about doing transgenic mice to express aequorin in
brain, in order to study neuronal calcium activity
on brain slice. Will it be difficult to see it because
of incubation with coelentarazine, the expression
level may be covered by endogenous fluorescence, also
it may be difficult to have subcellular resolution
on brain slice.   Anyway, what's the difficulty on
gfp transgenic mice?  Is gfp much stronger than
aequorin? I will appreciate it if anyone could
give me some suggestions.

Xiaoxi