tissue stored at -20 C -- RNA still OK?

Mary Clare Tracey seebelow at for.my.address
Sun Oct 13 23:35:39 EST 1996

Juergen Brosius wrote:

> If we do not use fresh tissue for RNA preps we store it prior to >prepping at -70 C and never thaw it in between.  I have the option to >use tissue of interest that, however, had been stored at -20 C.  Does >anyone have experience concerning the state of the RNA extracted from >such a source? I remember vaguely that a similar question was posted >before but I did not see the outcome.

Hi

I worked with human tissues which had been stored for some
considerable time at -20°C before they were made available to me. I
noticed some reduction in quantity of extractable RNA across all
tissues and some reduction in quality in certain tissues. However, I
still managed to get enough RNA for my Northerns and they worked okay
(as well as Northerns ever do!).

Regards

MC